By Salochanee Reddy – Holistic Life Practitioner (certified by Dr Deepak Chopra,USA)
My perspective of ageing has changed over the last few years, from focusing on the external, I now am aware of the internal, and understand Longevity isn’t about reaching a ripe old age – its about feeling good as you get there!
I was recently told “you are ageing well” I was both flattered and intrigued by the compliment, I thought about what this meant to me, as I slide into my 40s, ageing well isn’t just about lines on my face, its about feeling good in my own skin.
“Ageing Well” is about taking care of my body, so that I can enjoy the next 40 years or so of my life with energy, low stress, vitality, emotional balance, flexible joints, strong muscles and organs that do their job and don’t get sick. I feel so much happier with who I am today than I did 5 years ago, by incorporating healthy lifestyle choices like, daily exercise, yoga, enough sleep, plenty of water, whole foods, daily meditation, seasonal detoxes and supplements.
Ageing is an inevitable process, wherein the body gradually degenerates various tissues, for some rapidly and for others gradually. Some of the visual external signs for ageing are pigmentation, freckles and fine lines, on the internal process the body naturally slows down over a period of time. Nowadays early Ageing is a big reason for anxiety and stress, this can be related to fast foods, incompatible diets and eating, modernized sedentary lifestyles and even the environments we live in.
The goal of an Ayurvedic Lifestyle is not only about slowing down the Ageing Process but also to make the body work at its best and bring about vitality and peace. Ayurveda being Holistic Medicine, treats Ageing as a whole and not just the skin which means that both the external and internal factors are taken into consideration. In Ayurveda there are also many herbal products for beautiful and younger skin, like Honey, Tulsi, Neem, Tumeric powder, Sandalwood oil etc.
PERPETUAL RENEWAL – Seasonal Cleansing And Purification For 7 Days
Ayurveda recommends a seasonal cleansing, purification and renewal process in which we eliminate physical and emotional toxicities accumulated, allowing the mind-body to return to a natural state of balance and health. After we have released the stored toxins that prevent the free flow of energy throughout our physiology, we can then engage in practices to rejuvenate and nurture our vitality and wellbeing.
To gain Emotional Freedom from emotional residue in our psyche:
– Practice Daily Meditation for 20 minutes in the morning and afternoon
– Connect to Nature, spending time in nature is deeply restorative by walking barefoot on the earth
– Keep a Journal – writing is an extremely useful tool for self-reflection and emotional detoxification.
– Breathing Deeply is profoundly relaxing and cleansing, for the purpose of detoxing, I suggest the alternate nostril breathing technique each day known as Nadi Shodhana
To Detox on a Physical Level
– Mind – Body Exercise – such as Yoga, Tai Chi, QiGong and Mindful Walking to mobilise and move stored toxins towards our channels of elimination.
– Sauna Therapy – external heating increases the circulation to our tissues, to move out the stored toxins after breaking out in sweat.
– Dry Brushing – with firm bristle body brush in upward movements towards your heart, helps the lymphatic system to eliminate toxins
– Water – drinking warm water with flesh slices of Ginger for circulation, sliced lemon to break down acid build up add a dash of turmeric powder as an anti – inflammatory
– Eat food as medicine – choose plant based, organic foods of all colours. Natural Phytochemcials in fruits and vegetables neutralizes toxicity and restore our tissues and energies to balance. Prepare in a healthy way, eat slowly and mindfully, ideal food should be light to digest, try steamed vegetables, rice, dhall and whole grains and avoid processed food, refined carbohydrates and animal products.
– Sea Salt Flush – On day 3 and 7, have a 1l of Water with a tablespoon of Sea Salt to flush out the toxins – best done in the morning, allowing 2 hours to be in your own space, ensure you keep hydrated in the day after the flush
– Take a soak – Create a spa bath with 500 g of Himalaya Salt and 250 g of Epsom Salt and calming essential oils to relax – let go and relax
DAILY ROUTINE AND LIFESTYLE
After your Seven Day Detox you can incorporate the following into your daily routine and lifestyle:
• Meditating Daily
• Some form of exercise to raise the heart rate for about 30 mins a day
• Tongue scraping – to remove toxic build up
• Breath Deep – Practice 365 principle, remembering to bring for 6 counts in and out repeated for 5 times and practiced 3 time a day
• Water intake – at least 2L a day with with ginger, lemon and mint
• Eat whole grains rich in fiber like oats, quinoa, barley and brown rice. Incorporate 6 tastes: sweet, sour, salty, astringent, bitter and pungent. Add antioxidants in colourful vegetables and fruits, such as leafy greens, red tomatoes, blueberries and carrots. Add various spices like, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon.
• Sleep Well – 7 – 8 hours – is essential to restore energy and maintain overall health
• Limit alcohol and caffeine
• Include Herbal Supplements – such as Amla, Ashwagandha and Curcumin to improve brain function, circulation and natural rhythms
• Monthly Full Body Massages – to relax and rejuvenate.
Salochanee Reddy, Holistic NLP Life Coach – Professional Life Coach, Meditation Teacher, Ayurvedic Lifestyle Chopra Certified Teacher, Certified NLP Coach and Certified Ayurvedic Body Therapist and in the process of obtaining Doctoral, PHD in Holistic Life Coaching with the University of Sedona, USA.
I specialize in Holistic Wellbeing which is improving all dimensions of health – mental, emotional, physical and spiritual.
My journey: I turned to holistic therapies in 2009 when I had many health challenges myself. This led me to restore my body’s balance and health through diet, natural medicines and therapies whilst improving my lifestyle.
The first step of my personal development began when I read the book, Perfect Health by Dr Deepak Chopra. I was very excited to find out about how our mind affects our body.
I was fortunate to obtain Perfect Health and Meditation Teacher qualification with Dr Deepak Chopra University in California.
It helped me to have a better understanding of myself and others whilst creating balance in my own life. It provided me with the tools and techniques to help people move forward in their lives.
I developed a passion for learning and went on to study Ayurvedic Body Treatments, Life Coaching, Counselling and currently completing Doctoral PHD Program in Holistic Life Coaching with the University of Sedona, Arizona USA. I gained a wealth of knowledge and through my own personal development, now assist others to live a happy, healthy, successful life.
Contact Salochanee Reddy on firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: www.eqcentre.co.za